Version 5.9.0 of Mimi has been released on a slow roll out. It will start with a small percentage of users at first. If things look good, I can release it to everyone.
- The app can save files to any SD card mounted
- Updated Google support libraries
- Updated how cookies are stored for chan pass login
- Removed custom SSL implementation that may have caused issues on some devices
- Require an SSL connection when fetching data
- Removed legacy captcha support
There have been a few issues along the way. I am working to resolve them as soon as possible.
It looks like the location of thumbnails changed. I just released an update that should fix the issue.
Version 5.7.6 was just pushed to the Play store. It will be the last release that supports Android 4. All future releases will require Android 5 and above. This change is necessary to maintain what little stability the app has and stay current with Google’s latest libraries.
It looks like 4chan disabled the ability to use the legacy captcha system. Mimi has support for legacy captchas as well as the recaptcha sysem. To change the setting, go into the advanced settings and toggle the “Use legacy captcha” option to off.
Earlier today I pushed an open source version of Mimi Reader to GitHub. It has all of the ads and Crashlytics removed, but otherwise it’s the same app.
To build it, you may need the YouTube API library. It’s not in maven so it’s a static jar file that you can get from Google. Just drop it in the /libs directory after cloning the project. After that, open the project in Android Studio and build it.
Check it out!
The last few releases have included a lot of visual and backend changes. For whatever reason this is the one I decided to call 5.0.
What can you expect in the 4.9 and 5.0 versions?
- Sliding drawer layout so you can choose between three different layouts
- Tons of toolbar colors
- Fully customizable post text color
- Four sorting options for threads, including an option to invert your sort
Those are some of the new user-facing features. However, behind the scenes a lot more has changed. The largest is the integration of RxJava into my database access. Instead of using the ORMLite library, I have switched to a combination of ActiveAndroid with SQLBrite. This combination gives me a lot more control without losing the convenience of model objects. It should also provide a much better base to add more features that will require persistent storage. My plan is to implement thread hiding in a future release.
I just updated the app on the Google Play Store. It should be available in the next 24 hours.
With the 4.8 release, I changed how 4chan API requests were made from the app. The old system was called Volley. I used it throughout the app for most of the network requests. Everything from API calls to basic image downloading was done through Volley (backed by OkHttp). The app now uses a couple of libraries that are more specific but better at their jobs. The first library I implemented is called Retrofit. It makes all of the API calls incredibly easy. The second library is called Glide. It handles the basic image downloading so I don’t have to do it manually through Volley anymore.
Retrofit has a couple of different ways to implement it. The first is through a basic set of callbacks. Those work fine, but I decided to go with RxJava instead. With it I can do processing in the background easily and bring the results back to the main thread to be displayed.
The switch to Retrofit with RxJava and Glide has increased performance significantly. I’m still finding little areas of improvement, but the loading time for network calls has decreased significantly.
The 4.8.3 release has a few extra additions:
- Direct share images!
- Adding boards is easier
- Starting a batch download is easier
- Really added flags for /int/ this time
- Fixed board not loading after adding it
- Pull to refresh fixed when inside of threads
- Fixed subjects not showing in threads
- Added long press menu to links in posts
- Bug fixes
- Permissions fixes
- Fixed issue with bookmarks not loading
It’s up on the play store now. I’m fixing bugs for a 4.7.2 release shortly.
The latest update just fixes a bunch of bugs and rounds out some features. There isn’t anything new, but it should be more stable.
Mimi 4.7.0 Beta 2 [Download]
The latest update to Mimi adds a couple of new features as well as some much-needed updates.
- New tabbed layout option in settings
- Using more of the material design library
- Removed the HD button when viewing gallery pictures
- Gallery pictures get more detail as you zoom in
- Updated post dialog
To use the new tabbed layout, go into the settings and choose it from “Layout Type” option. This should also open things up for more layouts in the future. A decent amount of the work in adding a new layout type was in making things more modular.
Mimi 4.7 Beta 1 [Download]